Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Don’t Be THAT Guy At Your Own Wedding


By Guest Blogger: Simon Daykin

My last guest post dealt with THAT guy at your wedding. I received quite the response so I thought I’d go one more mile down the road and address how you, the groom, can avoid being THAT guy at your own wedding. Trust me, it happens. There are plenty of reasons for this occurrence. They range from nerves, lack of eating, mixing boozes to good old hard partying and lack of control. I’ll hit a few here, the usual suspects but I can’t get into some of the deeper, crazier reasons, because that’s between you and your shrink! You DO NOT want to look like this guy at your own wedding…do you??? Of course you don’t!

Eat It! Just Eat It!

Each one of us has joked, at one point or another about getting a good base before a night of drinking. Well as far as I’m concerned, there is truth to that. Food in the belly makes sure the alcohol takes longer to get into your blood stream. Making the wine make its way through a 16oz steak will help you. But this is not just a night…oh no…this is a FULL DAY! So make sure you eat, eat whenever possible, whatever possible. Eat a good, solid, manly man breakfast, then eat lunch, solid proteins and the like. From the ceremony to the cocktails there is a long time…so I suggest bringing food along. I’m not saying that you pull out a hero sandwich just before you say “I do”. But have the photographer bring along some food for the photo shoot or stick a sandwich in your pocket. Keep the food coming whenever you can and try not to get hungry.

Go To Bed Early…And SLEEP

This is not directed at your wedding night…oh no…this is directed at the night BEFORE your wedding night. Never make this night your stag night! There is no reason to go out and get all “Jersey Shored” the night before your wedding. You’ll only regret it later.

Use this night to have a great dinner, either with your Bride to be, your family or all your guests. When they start to drink it all up, you make your exit. They may rib you, but they will understand. In all honesty, I would have a quiet dinner with your Bride to be, and your families. Keep it an early night. And if it’s all family, no one will try to pour shots down your throat. Head to bed early, go over your vows and your speech to make sure all your I’s are crossed and your T’s be dotted, then go to sleep. You’ll need your rest for the coming day. Trust me on this, falling asleep, or even WORSE…passing out at your wedding is not on!


Consumption

Usually there will be some booze at the wedding, and mostly there will be a lot of the stuff. Doesn’t mean you have to drink it all though. Remember to pace oneself…patience is a virtue. So be patient boys. If you want to drink, then have a drink…no need to go double fisted. Remember you need to be able to last the night and “then some”. Yes I do mean the wedding night. If you drink away your “performance” then I can’t help you. But I can help you before this happens. So slow down, and not only will you be able to give a ROCKSTAR performance on your wedding night but you’ll look better in all your photos and you won’t be tossing back you dinner on your guests or slurring your speech. The speech you spent so long working on. There is plenty of time to have a few too many…your wedding day is not one of these times!


Simon’s Gutsy Groom Advice

Most, if not all of the guys I know love to head out and “tie one on”…myself included. But let’s be honest here. Your wedding is not the time to do this. You have asked a bunch of your closest friends and family to join you in a celebration with your families and your future wife. So you need to be a part of that celebration.

I’m not saying you don’t drink…I would never say that! But what I am saying is put yourself in the best position to handle your booze fellas, book your stag a few weeks out. That gives you plenty of time to recover. If you have out of town pals coming in, set up a pub night a few days (if possible)before the wedding to hoist pints with them. Don’t do it the night before. Never do it the night before!

Drinking is a slippery slope, you feel good one minute, then you’re all over the floor the next. You need to be on your feet, shaking hands, taking pictures and being a great guy, you need to be on your “A” game. It’s just one day, you can do it. Be cool!

You got questions? I got your answers! Feel free to drop me a line if you want to, I’m here to help you guys. My email is simon@gutsygroom.com and you have access to me. So I suggest you use that. I can also hook you guys up with the best wedding planner in the biz…you need a great planner, I got one, I also come in the package so all your questions during the planning process you may have…I’ll be there to help you out. You can check out our work at www.fireflyoccasions.com and book your free consultation by emailing us at info@fireflyoccasions.com. That is all for this time boys…

No comments: